Littlehill’s rehoming policy
TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR ADOPTING A DOG/CAT FROM LITTLEHILL
We have a number of criteria which must be met before we will consider a home for adopting any of our dogs. Some are based on recommendations made by dog behaviourists for providing a home which will not increase the risk of stress or behavioural problems in a dog. There is very little leeway on these conditions so if you cannot agree to them all, please contact us before filling out your form, as refusal often offends.
Please be aware that you cannot book or reserve A Littlehill Animal Rescue & Sanctuary Rescue dog just by expressing an interest in it. Applications are taken and homechecks are carried out on a first-come, first-served basis. YOU MUST HAVE PASSED YOUR HOMECHECK BEFORE A DOG WILL BE BOOKED TO YOU. If you are not first in line you will be made aware of that and invited to undergo a homecheck should the home in front of you not work out.
Please note that all potential homes are subject to a homecheck and no exceptions will be made. It is also worth remembering that we are all volunteers and while we will endeavour to arrange a home-visit as soon as we possibly can sometimes it can take a little while so your patience is appreciated!
Littlehill Animal Rescue & Sanctuary reserves the right to refuse any home.
Please note that Littlehill may call for a follow-up home visit, without notification, subsequent to the dog being placed in a new home.
1. We do not place dogs in homes where they will be left alone without human company (another dog will not suffice) for long periods on a regular basis.
2. We only place dogs into homes where they will be kept mainly as a house dog. The dog must sleep in the house. Our intention is that our dogs are taken on as cherished members of the family. We do not permit our dogs to be kennelled outdoors. The exception to this would only be for specified breeds
3. The garden must be secure and escape-proof, bearing in mind that many dogs can both climb and dig. The home-visitor will check this as a matter of priority and advise accordingly. Dogs will not be released to a home where electric fencing, shock-collars or barbed-wire are or may be used as a means of containment.
4. We do not give dogs as presents or surprises! Applicants may only apply on their own behalf.
5. If the dog you are adopting is not neutered we would expect you to neuter the dog as soon as possible, provide proof of this and to sign an agreement stating this. Failure to comply will result in the dog being removed from the home by Littlehill Animal Rescue.
6. Those rehoming dogs must give an undertaking to provide the dog with regular appropriate exercise and veterinary care.
7. As the dog’s new owner you will be required to accept and acknowledge the full legal responsibility for any injury, loss or damage sustained by or to a third party caused by the dog.
8. If for any reason you can no longer keep a dog you have adopted from Littlehill Animal Rescue & Sanctuary you must immediately inform us of such and must return the dog to our care. YOU MAY NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, RE-HOME THE DOG YOURSELF.
9. If, for any reason, you return a dog to us, you agree to pay an administration fee of €30 euro on return of the dog, if requested. We will only request an administration fee if the return of the dog involves additional cost to us, eg. transport etc.
If you are interested in adopting one of our dogs and can agree to the rehoming criteria listed above then please, fill in our Adoption Form, and send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org or post to the address at the top of the form.